Monday

DAY 8 June 1, 2009

Monday, Monday....can't trust that day...closed on Monday everywhere


A lot of what I wanted to see was closed on Monday.

Lodging was very inexpensive across all of New Mexico. Socorro had numerous rooms for $30.

NM has a very diverse landscape: Colorado type mountains, meadows, down to the flattest ugliest place in the US(including Wyoming)kind of like an ugly Nevada, with some Utah looking desert, including a large lava flow west of Carizozo (near Valley of Fires NP-$7 tent camping with showers), except that there was very little green or flowers. Then there were the Texas looking mountains in the south central region.

The Lincoln State Historical Park was like a ghost town, small quaint and clean. Worth a second look – I reached here just as everything closed. Smokey the Bear Park looked interesting, worth a second look.

Checked in to the Budget Inn in Roswell, NM. I was told that they didn't have the room that the coupon I had covered, so I turned around to leave. The gentleman insisted that he would put me in the "deluxe room" instead. This thing was wall to wall furniture. The bed was nice and the room was clean enough, but really made me wonder what "standard" looks like.

I went next door to La Posta for a wonderful New Mexican style meal-delicious steak chimichanga with green and red chile sauces-yum! The service was also wonderful. Well worth a return trip!

ROUTE: I 25 South>US 380 East to Roswell

Lodging: Budget Inn Roswell, NM

Meals: La Posta 2103 N Main St. Roswell, NM (***Food)

Attractions: Valley of Fires, Lincoln State Historical Park, and Smokey the Bear Park

$$$: $33 Fuel $37 Motel $17 Food = $87

No comments:

Post a Comment