Friday

DAY 19 June 12, 2009


I rarely just "shop", but today was an exception. I needed some postcards and trinkets to send to my grand babies and Fredericksburg has an adorable downtown. I hit the pavement about the time the shops were opening and before most of the heat descended like a lead weight. The 100 block of Main St was my favorite. I particularly enjoyed the five and dime store and the wine tasting room: Texas Wines, Etc. at 127 E. Main Street (830) 997-5780 The brewery was closed and Lincoln Street Wines was a bust.

Heading east out of town I hit the Wildseed Farm - well worth the visit. They have an enormous selection of plants and seeds, a lovely gift shop, a deli counter, specialty food store, and fantastic wine selection (tasting is available on the weekends). After swishing a little wine I decided on a peach wine under their label.









From there, I headed to the Lyndon B Johnson Living History Park. On the way, I came across a beautiful little roadside rest area on Ranch Road 1 just east of Ranch Road 1623. It is a shady spot with restrooms and tables right on the river. When I reach the LBJ Ranch, I watched a film about LBJ, toured the visitor center and museum, then meandered through the living history settlement.

This incredibly patriotic vehicle was parked in the lot when I exited the park.




























The Benini Sculpture Garden was another one of my double takes necessitating a U-turn. The bull is made out of what appears to be auto parts... There are various other oddities here as well. I was beginning to be pressed for time, so this will have to wait until another trip.

In Johnson City, I toured the LBJ museum at his boyhood home and drove around the park. It was really to hot to walk it. It was not too hot to drink wine, though. So I meandered out to the Texas Hills Winery. I loved their "Valore" wine.


I rushed into Blanco hoping to catch a tasting at the "Real Brewery", but couldn't find it in time. I did get a tasting at the Lavender Festival. I wasn't overly impressed, but this was not a full tasting nor was it ideal circumstances. So, next time through I will give them a try. By the time I made it to the Lavender Festival I was all shopped out. I did wander around the vendor area, talked to a few winery reps, and had the above mentioned liquid refreshment (beer from the Real Brewery).

I took the Devil's Razorback Road (TX 32) into San Marcos and was fortunate to find a room that would not completely break the bank. Austin is having its huge motorcycle rally (Republic of Texas [ROT] Rally) this weekend and rooms are scarce. I landed at the Gateway Inn. It appears to be a former Super 8 and was the best bed I had slept in since Alpine's Hampton. Nice room and nice desk personnel, but very sorry continental breakfast.

ROUTE: US 290 East> RR 1 East> US 290 East>US 281 South>TX 32 East>I 35 South

Lodging: Gateway Inn San Marcos, TX

Meals: Long John Silver's (**Food)

Attractions: Downtown Fredericksburg, Wildseed Farm, LBJ Living History Park, LBJ Ranch, Benini Sculpture Garden, LBJ's Boyhood Home NP, Texas Hills Winery, Real Brewery, Blanco Lavender Festival, and Devil's Razorback Road

$$$: $48 Wine $6 Souvenirs $4 Beer $3 Dinner $64 Motel = $125

No comments:

Post a Comment