Saturday

DAY 13 June 6, 3009

First stop was the Val Verde Winery in Del Rio. They have a $3 tasting fee. I ended up with three bottles of wine.

Next stop was Alamo Village, 7 miles north of Brackettville. Looks like a lot of fun, but had a minimum 2 hour commitment ($10.75 A $5 kids 5-12). This would be a wonderful place to bring kids.

Fort Clark Springs is a gated community built on the old fort property. The lodging looked unique and was a good value, but I need to get on down the road today. They have a museum with very limited hours. I was not interested enough to wait for "The Old Guardhouse Museum" to open, even for free admission.

Uvalde has a beautiful park on their little river. Absolutely beautiful mansions on US 83 heading north out of Uvalde. North of town everything turns really flat and agricultural - sunflowers, beans, etc. Garner State Park charges $6 per person for entry and I just wasn't interested in getting wet with hundreds of other people. There are other places to get in the river free, you just have to keep your eyes peeled.

I came across an absolutely delightful little spot that time forgot. Hunt, Texas was lovely with great river access and beautiful river front homes. I hope to return for a leisurely stay on the river. I never did find Stonehenge West. I must have driven right past it according to the directions.

Ingram and Kerrville have both grown so much as to appear to be one city. I headed south to Camp Verde - another absolutely gorgeous picnic area next to an upscale general store.

Bandera has changed substantially since I visited 17 years ago - no real surprise. The RV Park we stayed in is no longer a "Jellystone" park. The new name is Pioneer RV Park. The Old Spanish Trail restaurant is still there - we loved it last time. Downtown seems to have exploded into a shopping district.

I passed Enchanted Springs Ranch - one of Oprah's picks for quirky entertainment. But the sun is reaching for the horizon and I need to make it to Grandma's tonight.

Grabbed dinner at Rudy's Barbecue in Leon Springs (I 10 exit Boerne Stage Road it is east of the interstate). Finally made it into Boerne and Grandma's home. What can I say about Grandma's House? It was perfect.

ROUTE: US 90 East>US 83 North>TX 39 North>TX 173 South>TX 46 East>I 10 South & North

Lodging: Grandma's Place

Meals: Rudy's Barbecue (***Food)

Attractions: Val Verde Winery, Alamo Village, Fort Clark Springs, Garner State Park, Stonehenge West (next time), Camp Verde, Bandera, and Enchanted Springs Ranch

$$$: $19 Fuel $30 Wine $19 Food = $68

No comments:

Post a Comment